Young Girl Loses Her Life Because Of A Tampon While On A School Trip

0
1893

Yes, tampons might be a big convenience for some women when it comes to hygiene products, but it is really important to talk about the risks that come with it. For the family of Sara Manitoski it has been a really tough year. The family lost their 16-year-old daughter in 2017 while being on a school trip near Vancouver.

Namely, the girl went to bed with some stomach cramps which were a usual part of her period. The next morning her friends left for breakfast thinking that Sara is just sleeping in, but when they got back her alarms were going off but she was not waking up.

The paramedics that arrived tried CPR but the young girl remained unresponsive. Almost a year later, the family finally got the answer of what happened to their beloved daughter that tragic night.

According to the coroners report, the cause of death of Sara was a toxic shock syndrome (TSS) which is a life-threatening illness that is caused by infection with certain types of bacteria and in women it is most often caused by leaving a tampon in for too long.

A strain of staphylococcus aureus was found on the tampon she was using as well as other TSS symptoms. The medical officer continued: “Certainly we know a person needs to have this particular bacteria to get sick, and then there may be something with tampon use, maybe prolonged tampon use, that puts that risk higher for developing a more widespread infection.”

Carli Manitoski, which is Sara’s sister, turned to Facebook with a heartwrenching message about this case in order to raise awareness about the dangers of TSS as many young girls don’t even know about it. Her message reads:

Watch out for the following most often symptoms of TSS:

-A sudden high fever

– Hypotension a.k.a. low blood pressure

– Vomiting

– Diarrhea

– A sunburn-like rash appearing on the palms of your hands and soles of your feet

– General state of confusion

– Aching muscles

– Redness in the eyes, mouth and throat

– Headaches

– Seizures

Call medical emergency services if needed.